Here’s the latest copy/paste from jobboom. To see the full listing, click here. This for translation into French.
Babel is the industry’s leading international provider of outsourced services to the games and interactive entertainment industries. Founded in 1999, the company is part of the Quattro Group which brings global scale and a strong financial backing.
We have facilities in Brighton, New Delhi and Montreal, as well as sales offices in Tokyo and Los Angeles, employing more than 250 full time staff backed up by over 350 contract QA testers, over 400 in-country translators and a global network of audio studios. The Montréal facility opened for business in August 2005.
Babel provides localization services for its clients in the Games industry. The projects are typically large scale, multilingual game translations with related documentation such as web sites, help texts, instruction manuals etc. We are using SDLX translation memory as a preferred tool to manage the quality and efficiency for our clients’ projects.
As a Translator/Editor your main responsibility will be to translate and edit a Role Playing Game (RPG) video game title, as well as various other types of games, in addition to all of the related documentation such as online content, audio scripts and manuals. You will collaborate with our internal and external translation teams, as well as internal audio department, and provide your recommendations on the project-specific linguistic choices in order to achieve the quality standards agreed with our clients. You will achieve this through careful planning, detail-oriented work style and flawless execution with the help of pre-defined processes and the use of various online and off line translation tools, such as XLOC and SDL Trados Studio.
Additionally, you will be trained to perform linguistic testing and will occasionally be required to perform testing tasks to track errors in the localized versions of game titles.
You are a self-starter with a degree in translation, linguistic studies, journalism or creative writing. You have at least 1 year of professional experience in translation or creative writing and have an interest for video games, namely RPG’s, and fantasy literature.
- Translation of our clients’ game titles in various game genres, primarily RPG’s, but also MMO, MMORPG, casual games, and console titles.
- Editing translations from multiple translators in order to ensure consistency and compliance to title specific glossaries as well as manufacturers’ terminology
- Use reference materials such as dictionaries, lexicons, encyclopedias, and computerized terminology banks as needed to ensure translation accuracy
- Identify and resolve conflicts related to the meanings of words, concepts, practices, or behaviors
- Performing linguistic sample reviews on externally localized pieces to ensure quality
- Linguistic spot checks of Localization testers’ bug reports in order to produce feedback of our testers’ linguistic ability
- Performing evaluations on translation tests conducted to our external freelance or agency vendors
- Projects may require overtime, evening shifts or weekend work
- Occasionally, when requested, help in the Localization department with QA testing.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- Degree in Translation/Linguistic Studies/Creative Writing/Journalism
- Excellent writing skills
- Deep understanding of video games genres and linguistic choices to fulfill the requirements of the game designer and target audiences expectations
- 1 year of experience in translation, adaptation or creative writing and familiarity with video games, more importantly RPG titles
- Excellent spoken and written skills in English
- Ability to work both independently and in teams
- Excellent analytical and time management skills
- Highly organized and detail-oriented work style
- Candidates are required to pass a translation test
- Expected minimum of 2000 words translated per 8hr day
- Expected minimum of 8000 words edited per 8hr day
- Experience working with TM/CAT tools, such as SDLX and/or Trados
- A passion for games and game localization
- Good knowledge of Excel