There are two open invitations to events next week that might be of interest to PWAC Quebec members.
1) Invitation to the English-speaking and Diversity cultural communities of Quebec
Agenda 21C – Culture today and tomorrow is a call to all communities to participate and get involved in the process to help Québec adopt an Agenda 21 for culture by 2011. Everyone’s contribution is needed to build bridges between culture and the economy, culture and the environment, and culture and society so we can all work together to plot the future of culture in Québec.
You are invited to a meeting with Agenda 21C Steering Committee Chair, Solange Drouin and Reisa Levine of Institute du Nouveau Monde on Tuesday, April 26, 2011 from 2 :00 PM – 5 :00 PM, to share your thoughts and opinions on how we can contribute our ideas to the development of a sustainable cultural sector in our province. This meeting will be held in the Grey Nuns Building of Concordia University located at 1185 Ste. Mathieu, (close to Rene Levesque) in room number GN-M100. The location link is here.
Québec’s Agenda 21 for culture will allow us to:
- renew our understanding of the role of culture
- forge new ties among the various sectors of our society
- acknowledge culture as an essential dimension in the development of our society
Agenda 21 for culture will provide a framework of reference which will enable us to write a new chapter in cultural policy and should consider issues including:
- The economy: Strengthen ties between culture, creativity, and technology;
- The Society: Deepen the relationship between culture and education; culture, health, and social cohesion; and culture and intercultural dialogue;
- The environment: Acknowledge that our quality of life depends as much on a harmonious relationship with nature as with the built environment.
Please confirm your participation as soon as possible to firstname.lastname@example.org, as space is limited and will be assigned on a first-come first served basis. Please note this meeting will be conducted in English, although those wishing to express themselves in French are welcome to do so. For further information, please contact the Quebec Drama Federation (514) 875-8698, the English Language Arts Network (514) 935-3312 or Diversité artistique Montréal (514) 280-3581.
2) You are invited to the Annual General Meeting of the AELAQ
The AELAQ AGM is open to the public starting at 5:30, when Cevin Bryerman, Publisher of New York-based Publishers Weekly, will speak about opportunities offered by his magazine to Quebec publishers and writers. Publishers Weekly, abbreviated PW, is an American weekly trade news magazine targeted at publishers, librarians, booksellers and literary agents. Published continuously for the past 138 years, it has carried the tagline, “The International News Magazine of Book Publishing and Bookselling.” With 51 issues a year, the emphasis today is on book reviews. PW has been dedicating one issue a year to Canadian books and writers. Please note the presentation will be in English only.
Guests are invited to join us for wine and light refreshments at 6:30 p.m.
RSVP Aparna at email@example.com or 514-932-5633 by April 22.
The Where & When:
- Tuesday, April 26, 2011 (The AGM is members-only from 4-5 pm)
- Atwater Library Auditorium
- 1200 Atwater, Corner Tupper